4 Rental Electrical Requirements to Bare in Mind

Whether you are a landlord, a tenant or master electrician, it is important to keep in mind the electrical requirements of the rental property just to make sure that your client gets the best deal. And as a tenant, you really need to know these things so that when you rent an apartment, you or a local electrician in Wollongong can thoroughly check and gauge if it meets the standards and can make sure of your safety.

Here are the electrical requirements of rental properties:

1. Property Condition Report

This report must be made and prepared by the lessor containing all the details about the conditions of every room. It has to have the information about the electrical appliances such as washing machines, ovens, air conditioners, water heaters, and so on.

Within seven days, the lessor must provide this report to the tenant when he moves in. The tenant has to check and asses the quality of things and verify that what's written in the agreement is true and confirmed. One copy for each tenant and lessor should be prepared.

2. Smoke Alarms

Landlords have to make sure that the property is equipped with the required number of smoke alarms, which may vary depending on how big the building is (as mentioned in the Building Code of Australia). All installed smoke alarms needs to be compliant with the Australian Standard 3786-1993 and be positioned by the said standard. It needs to be replaced once it has exhausted its service life as mentioned in the warranty.

Smoke alarms must be powered by the main power and not be more than 10 years old. They have to be permanently connected to the mains. However, if the mains power is not available or concealed wires are not allowed in that construction, then a 10-year battery operated smoke alarm is permissible. Call a local electrician in your area to help you with smoke alarm installation.

As for the maintenance of the smoke alarms, tenants can hire a needs to check if it is still working properly. If the battery is outdated, then they need to replace it, too.

3. Residual Current Devices (Safety Switches)

In Western Australia, power and light circuits are required by law. The landlord might get penalties if not applied.

In Compliance with AS/NZS:3000 Wiring rules, RCDs need to be installed. It means that there are at least two functioning RCDs that makes all the power and lighting circuits on a rental property are installed. To learn more about this, contact a licensed electrician.

4. Electrical Safety

Maintaining the rental property at all times at a certain level of electrical safety, has to be ensured by the landlords.

- Only licensed electrical contractors and electricians should be hired to do the electrical work.
- The landlord needs to ensure that all the appliances are in a good working condition and safe before a new tenant is accepted or the property being leased. If the appliances are found to be unhygienic, then it needs to be cleaned per manufacturer's instruction. If the appliance is faulty, then it should be replaced right away.
- All appliances, wiring and casing should be thoroughly checked to ensure that all appliances are safe and working properly.

Be prepared the next time you rent a property and expect the electrical requirements that you need from it or call a licensed master electrician to help you with it.